[Ltrace-devel] ltrace still being maintained?

Joe Damato ice799 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 01:10:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Zach Welch <zwelch at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On 10/01/2010 01:30 PM, Joe Damato wrote:
>> Hi Juan -
>>
>> Are you still maintaining ltrace? A lot of useful/important patches
>> have been posted over the last year it would be awesome if they could
>> be merged and have a new version of ltrace released. I can help do a
>> release of ltrace if you are busy, just let me know.
>
> Joe,
>
> I think it is safe to say that Juan has dropped the ball. Due to the
> lack of talk and action since the beginning of the year, it seems clear
> that ltrace needs a new maintainer. As you say, there have been a number
> of useful patches contributed over the past year, so I think that it is
> time for the community to step up and fill the void. We shouldn't wait
> forever, and you have been waiting patiently for the entire calendar year.
>
> To this end, is there a public git tree that contains all of the changes
> that should go into the next release? It would save a new maintainer a
> lot of time to have these in one place, and it would have saved me time
> to have used that instead of trying to work with the "stable" git tree.

Sure. I have a tree on github: http://github.com/ice799/ltrace

My libdl changes are on a feature branch called libdl. I can start to
merge people's patches and then merge my branch in last since the
changes are pretty extensive. I suppose the best way to do this would
be to crawl through the mailing list pulling down the patches people
have submit over the last year?

I'll have time later this week/weekend to start merging in some
patches I've seen floating around. I'll make a list and we can try to
coordinate to make sure they are all getting in.

> Specifically, two of Arnaud Patard's patches from January fix existing
> problems with the test suite, so I am willing to give him the benefit of
> the doubt on his remaining changes. Likewise, your work appears to add
> solid value as well. Naturally, it is easy to imagine that there are
> other worthy contributions that have been slipping through the cracks.

Sounds good to me. I can take a look at them as well.

> Since you're volunteering to help produce a new release, would you mind
> starting with this task? I would be happy to provide feedback against
> the resulting tree, and I would bet that others on the list (or in the
> broader community) will be eager to provide their input as well.

Sounds good.

> Even if Juan suddenly reappears, we can start moving in the right direction.

Agreed.