[Ltrace-devel] Overwriting branches in git

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Sat Jul 9 11:44:39 UTC 2011

Hi there,

does anyone have any insight into why we disallow $SUBJ?  I intended to
replace the branch pmachata/threads with the cleaned-up version.  That
includes editing of history, hence I need to delete and re-create the
branch.  But:

> $ git push origin :pmachata/threads
> remote: *** Deleting a branch is not allowed in this repository
> remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/pmachata/threads
> To ssh://pmachata-guest@git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/ltrace.git
>  ! [remote rejected] pmachata/threads (hook declined)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://pmachata-guest@git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/ltrace.git'

So, what now?  I'm pretty sure this used to work, I remember merging and
deleting a couple branches in the past.

Thanks,
PM