[Ltrace-devel] Ltrace portability patches; master tracks to-be 0.8.0 as of now

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 14:34:51 UTC 2012

Hi there,

- I tried to compile ltrace on IRIX 6.5 to see where our portability
  sore points are.  I obviously stubbed out the backend, IRIX does
  things very differently and doesn't even use ptrace (which is part of
  the reason why it's such a great portability target; the other part
  being that I happen to have an IRIX machine handy).  The fallout is
  now on master.  Essentially we now have a bunch more configure tests
  and should be a bit more reliable on non-GNU systems.

  One remaining bit that I'm reluctant to commit is working around
  absence of PRIx64 and others.  This is currently on the branch
  pmachata/irix.

  I used Nekoware GCC, not MIPSpro.  Another bunch of fixes might come
  out of trying to compile with the latter.  That would presumably make
  porting to other compilers less painful.  However I'm not keen on
  giving up all the C99 goodness, and if MIPSpro is particularly bad in
  that department, I'll just give up.  Or try LLVM.  That and any
  progress on actual tracing is contingent on my available spare time.

- With this, master tracks future 0.8.0, which was reflected by bumping
  release number in configur.ac to 0.7.90-git.  Any further fixes
  applicable to 0.7.* series will be cherry-picked to a separate branch,
  likely releases/0.7 or some such.

Thanks,
PM