[Ltrace-devel] next ltrace release?

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 14:53:47 UTC 2012

Randy MacLeod <rwmacleod at gmail.com> writes:

> I will be packaging ltrace for a linux distribution that I work on.
> I'd prefer to work with a tar ball rather than a git clone. The 0.6.0
> release is fine but it's a year old and there have been 67 commits
> since then. Would a new release seem right given the current state of
> development?

Most of those commits are support for multi-threaded applications and
tracing over vfork (which is related).  That is worthy of a release in
my opinion, that feature was long missing.

i686 and x86_64 work well AFAIK.  ppc and ppc64 work except prelinked
apps, but this was useless in 0.6.0 to begin with, so we are not worse
off for it (return breakpoints wouldn't hit and we would soon run out of
ltrace-internal call stack.  Now nothing hits to begin with).  Not sure
about ARM, and even less about other arches.

Unfortunately I have my hands quite full at the moment and would welcome
someone else making the release dance.  I _really_ want to wrap a couple
branches that I have sketched and don't want to figure out what to do
and how right now.  I might get around to do the release on some
weekend, but it won't be soon.

If nobody else picks this up you might just take current master
(fed1e8d), which is quite stable in my opinion (that's what's in
Fedora).

Thanks,
PM

P.S. What distro is that, out of curiosity?