[Ltrace-devel] ltrace not working on some shared objects

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 09:03:36 UTC 2014

Patric Schmitz <bzk0711 at aol.com> writes:

> that easily, so I'm kinda stuck here. What might be reasons for ltrace
> not being able to trace calls in-between linked shared objects?

ltrace doesn't show calls from shared libraries by default, but you can
configure that it does.  You could just say -e \*, which should trace
everything, but that tends to slow the applications too much.  You can
say something like -e '*@libsomething*' to trace calls from
libsomething.so.X.

In your case, if you want to trace calls _to_ libGL, the more useful
ltrace flag might be -l libGL\*.

Do specify -f for multithreaded objects.

Also, the above hasn't worked the way I describe it until ltrace >= 0.7.
Not sure where your ltrace comes from, some distros carry obsolete
versions.  Current GIT master is in a fairly good shape and should work.

Thanks,
PM