[Ltrace-devel] DWARF test suite

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 17:49:37 UTC 2014

Dima Kogan <lists at dima.secretsauce.net> writes:

> There are several other commits in that branch that do various useful
> things. They didn't seem significant enough to warrant their own
> branches and mailing list threads, so I'm bundling them with this
> email.

I took 7ccff524af2a8 (testsuite typos) and c4b9edd65b6 (whitespace
fixes) verbatim.  Those are now on master.

bae1df98b (aliased symbol was breaking) looks OK, though that if (X)
return CBS_STOP; else return CBS_CONT; can be rewritten more concisely
as return CBS_STOP_IF (X).  Let me know if you want to update it.

I appreciate the tests, this should help us keep the Dwarf part stable.
However I would like to see a C-only elementary test, possibly with
optional C++ part.  C++ is not a hard dependency of ltrace.  It is OK if
those parts use C++11, I understand that you need to test those parts of
Dwarf output.  I'm however opposed to just enabling C++11 en bloc for
all C++ files.  Personally, I'd prefer that you just change this:

        [ltrace_compile_shlib $libsrc $lib_so debug ]

... to this:

        [ltrace_compile_shlib $libsrc $lib_so
                [list debug c++ additional_flags=-std=gnu++11]]

Though if you want to put the logic that just enables c++ in there like
you do in d983fbdf, that makes sense to me as well.  In that case,
please update demangle.exp so that it doesn't list the c++ option
unnecessarily.  But in any case, please keep the C++11 flags private to
your test case.

> Let me know if something is amiss. This is my first time writing (and
> reading, really) TCL, so maybe I messed something up, but it does appear
> to work.

TCL is an... interesting language.  I'm afraid the ltrace test suite is
not the best TCL specimen out there.  I added some support to simplify
writing tests some time ago (see e.g. parameters2.exp), but I'm no TCL
person myself, so who knows what someone knowledgeable would say.

Thanks,
PM