[Ltrace-devel] ltrace on ppc64

Petr Machata pmachata at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:23:30 UTC 2015

Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k.org> writes:

> The ltrace.main/dwarf test produces this output on ppc64:
>
> static .opd translation of 0x3fffb7fad190: no error
> couldn't translate address of @libdwarftest.so: Success
> static .opd translation of 0x3fffb7fad1b8: no error
> couldn't translate address of @libdwarftest.so: Success

[...]

> The first few errors come from section symbols, the rest are STT_OBJECT
> symbols.  Shouldn't populate_this_symtab generally ignore section
> symbols?  Should it exempt STT_OBJECT symbols from going through
> arch_translate_address?

It probably should ignore section symbols.  I can't decide on the
account of object symbols.  I don't know off hand if anything that
ltrace can actually trace might be represented as STT_OBJECT and we
should therefore let backends see it.  But it seems that we should
ignore them also.

Thanks,
Petr