[Ltrace-devel] ltrace overhead

Petr Machata pmachata at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 09:03:31 UTC 2015

yogender nerella <ynerella at gmail.com> writes:

> I am profiling a large application involving oracle database libraries.
>
> Without any tracing my program completes in 2 to 3 minutes, but with ltrace
> it is taking over 2 to 3 hours.

ltrace is not a great tool for profiling.  Every event implies a context
switch (that's the design of the underlying kernel ptrace interface that
ltrace is using).  That's where the overhead comes from.

> All our code is in the binary, and oracle libraries are dynamically linked.
>
> What are the command line options, to just profile my application?
> What are the command line options to just profile oracle libraries?

Check out -e.  That's used for selecting which library calls from which
libraries you want displayed.

Thanks,
Petr