[ minicom-Bugs-301193 ] 'Serial Device' configuration value only used on startup

noreply@alioth.debian.org noreply@alioth.debian.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:50:07 -0700

Bugs item #301193, was opened at 2005-02-14 10:50
You can respond by visiting:
http://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100031&aid=301193&group_id=30018

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In Minicom 2.1, type CTRL-A O to get to the Configuration menu, select 'Serial port setup', hit A to select 'Serial Device', then type in a different value than the default.

Minicom continues to use the original value unless you save the setup, then quit and restart minicom.

I don't know if this is a "bug" or a "feature".  I would expect minicom to begin using the new value immediately.  If that is in fact how it should behave, then this is a bug.

However, I could imagine that the current behavior is how minicom is supposed to behave.  But, if this is the case, this should be documented somewhere - atleast pop up a message after changing the setting which notifies the user that they need to quit and restart before changes will take effect - and a note in the man page might help.  I spent hours banging my head on the desk trying to figure out why my serial ports weren't working before I finally ran lsof and discovered that minicom wasn't using the right device because I kept changing the Serial Device setting without saving the settings!