possible reasons of cryptic characters in Minicom output

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 20 06:35:21 UTC 2011

On Tue Sep 20, 2011 at 01:26:07 +0300, Martin T wrote:
> No, this radio device is not accessible from other computer as well. I
> tried with Minicom under OpenSUSE and the very same issue appeared. I
> have tried with spare radio device(identical model), but still no
> connection over RS232. On the other hand I can connect to Cisco
> equipment over console port without problems.
> Are there methods/techniques to pinpoint the problem? I mean once I
> see the Rx led of the DE9<->USB adapter blink when I hit a key on my
> keyboard, I can probably assume, that physical connectivity is correct
> because the device responds something? Now is it somehow possible to
> make sure, that bit rate is correct? Or is it possible to find out the
> correct parity? Or is this just reading the documentation +
> trial-and-error? :)

Finding out the baud-rate is just trying out different rates, there is
no rate negotiation or similar. Usually, it's 9600, 19200 or 38400, very
seldomly anything else.
Since the Cisco box works the connection should be ok, minicom should be
ok, the computer should be ok. Remains the radio device?!

Adam
Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de