[mgt-devel] tabterm first impression

Fred Ollinger follinge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 17:27:12 UTC 2008

I have used tabterm this morning, and I'd like to report my findings.

I realize that this is alpha quality, and for that, it works well.

I took a look at the source, and I'm using my meagre programming
skills on it, but I thought that feedback could help as well:

1. blinking cursor option is available, but it does not work. I
changed the "true" to false in tab.cc on line 81:

  vte_terminal_set_cursor_blinks(VTE_TERMINAL(term), conf->get_bool("cursor",
"blink", false));

I think that this might be a bug in vte, actually. I need to check.

2. Changing the fonts make the term go off the screen. I am using
icewm. Can someone reproduce this bug on another wm or is this just me
and icewm problem? In vim, the status bar is below the screen. The
maximize button is now offscreen as well as a bit of text on the right
side.

3. As in 1 and 2, I have a feeling that prefs don't save. Is this
true? There is a ~/.tabterm/config.ini automatically created when I
start. However, the changes never got saved there. When I manually
made the changes I want, I got the results I wanted.

So we need to save new changes to the file. This seems trivial, and
I'll get on it when I get time.

All in all, I feel tabterm is a suitable replacement for
multi-gnome-term. It being small makes it less intimidating to work
on. The original multi-gnome-term seemed as if it were made by a
physics grad or something. Oh wait! :)

Fred