[Netconf-devel] InterApplet 0.02

Grahame Bowland grahame@angrygoats.net
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:07:48 +0800

Hey all

A new version of my interface configuration applet
InterApplet is available from my website:
http://grahame.angrygoats.net/interapplet.shtml

This version should work much better for most people.
In this version it is no longer necessary to specify
"mapping" stanzas or call a specific script in order
for the applet to function correctly.

I'd value any feedback :-)

The package should be easy to install on Ubuntu hoary.
Unfortunately python2.4-gamin isn't available in Debian;
I think Thomas managed to solve this by compiling the .dsc
from ubuntu on Debian.

Anyway, here are the major changes:

 * we now use dbus to get the list of devices. we also
   put some extra information into the menus now, which
   might be helpful to end users if needlessly verbose.
   Email me if you have an idea on shortening this.
 * extra dependencies; python2.4-dbus
 * much feedback from Thomas Hood - thanks!
 * interapplet no longer looks at "mapping" lines
   in /etc/network/interfaces. Instead, the list of
   possible interfaces that can be mapped is taken
   from /proc/net/dev
   This does break the applet for now with respect
   to the hot addition or removal of hardware. This
   will be fixed ASAP.
 * fix the bugs in bonobo code so that removing the
   applet from the menu actually terminates it.
 * add Debian dependency on gksu
 * fix up InterApplet.server