[Netconf-devel] Re: setting up a router

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Aug 9 09:42:01 UTC 2005

netconf, this is about netenv and Frank's interest and experience
with switching network configurations. Relevant posts are here:

  http://albatross.madduck.net/pipermail/debian-unizh/2005-August/000578.html
  http://albatross.madduck.net/pipermail/debian-unizh/2005-August/000579.html

also sprach Frank Küster <frank at debian.org> [2005.08.09.1134 +0200]:
> The main problem I had is that with a built-in NIC, one has to
> change settings in /etc/networking/interfaces, while with a PCMCIA
> NIC, variables are used.  In fact the last approach seems to be
> nearer to what other distros do, and it is what upstream netenv is
> taylored for, but today more mobile computers probably have
> a network card built in.

Debian's PCMCIA is configured to use /etc/network/interfaces unless
you actually change it.

Having a way to specify at boot time which network profile to use is
certainly a nice possibility. Nevertheless, I would implement it
with tests.

  configure eth0 for the university network if
    (a) uni was selected at boot (through whatever means)
        - or -
    (b) the uni's router replies to ARP pings

If this discussion turns into a technical one, let's switch lists!

Cheers,

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"writing a book is like washing an elephant: there no good place to
 begin or end, and it's hard to keep track of you've already
 covered."
                                                        -- anonymous