[Netconf-devel] quick wishlist

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Aug 17 08:13:17 UTC 2005

I know netconf is having a slow start and it's partially my fault.
Anyway, I am sitting at the airport and am getting thoroughly
annoyed with the T-Mobile crap, but at the very least it caused me
to want to document one aspect I'd like netconf to do better than
ifupdown:

if I configure an interface through ifup with DHCP and it fails to
get a lease (T-Mobile is fucking incapable of running proper DHCP
servers -- heck, their entire network just stinks), the dhclient
process is backgrounded and the interface left configured. I am not
sure this is the best way to do things. I'd like to check out use of
the -1 flag, which causes dhclient to fail when it can't get a lease
on first try. This would cause ifup not to mark the interface
configured.

We might want to distinguish between a manual invocation of ifup,
and an automatic one (e.g. during startup, or hotplug). If done
manually, -1 might make sense. If automatic, it might make sense to
just background the process and to have it retry. Anyway, the daemon
will retry at long intervals, so maybe it might make sense to fire
off -1 repeatedly until a lease has been obtained. And in automatic
mode, the user should somehow be notified that there is no lease
yet, but that netconf will continue trying.

I now realise that this message is somewhat incoherent. Heck, I have
not slept a lot.

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

due to lack of interest tomorrow has been cancelled.