[Netconf-devel] ajt says that nobody offered ifupdown co-maintainership

Marc Haber mh+netconf-devel@zugschlus.de
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:02:38 +0100

Hi Thomas, hi list,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:22:33AM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 08:35 +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > in the DPL-Debate, ajt has said that the people NMUing ifupdown have
> > made it clear that they do not intend to co-maintain the package. I
> > cannot believe that to be true.
>
> Marco d'Itri, Javier Peņa and Marc Haber all refused when I asked them
> either to take over the package or to team up with me to do it.

I would be willing to be member of a maintainter team, but I am
obviously not qualified to do any actual work on the package. I can
build and upload though.

Everything is better than the current status quo, especially regarding
the fact that the BTS is becoming increasingly complex due to the
gazillion "fixed in NMU" and "NMU patch" bugs.

> I have not made any offer to take over the package or co-maintain
> because I am not a DD.  If I am ever admitted as a DD then I might make
> such an offer, unless of course the problem is solved first in some
> other way.

You can co-maintain the package and have the main maintainer sponsor
your uploads. Didn't ajt sponsor one of the NMUs?

> So ajt is not lying.  On the other hand, I am not aware that he has ever
> asked for help with the package.

I remember him expressing wishes to keep the package, and he never
indicated co-maintainership as an alternative.

> Marco d'Itri co-maintains netbase with ajt and in fact does all the
> uploads for the package.  If you are willing, you might be able to play
> the same role w.r.t. ifupdown.

I am willing to participate in ifupdown development as building and
uploading co-maintainer if:

  - The maintainer field of the package points to a mailing list,
    allowing easy cooperation within the maintainer team, and
  - The package is maintained in some sort of version control system
    with commit access for the developers (such as svn or arch on Debian
    infrastructure, e.g. alioth).

I am not going, however, to write the offer of co-maintainership to
ajt myself, but I might be willing to sign one.

Greetings
Marc