update: LCA2008 and the next five months

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Aug 28 14:00:45 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues,

  < KiBi> madduck: BTW, long time no see any update on the list. ;-)

and so it is. Since I came back from Edinburgh, real life has taken
over, and it hasn't let go. Thus, netconf is in suspended state, at
least from my end.

But there are news:

My netconf talk [0] has been accepted at LCA2008 [1], and I have already
booked tickets to fly there. My main selling point was that I am
making netconf as distribution-independent as possible, and it's
already there: Debian-specific stuff, such as /e/n/i is implemented
as plugins. It'll be good to get the word out to other distros at
that conference.

0. http://git.debian.org/?p=netconf/netconf.git;a=blob;f=ref/lca2008-submission;hb=HEAD
1. http://mel8ourne.org

Now, I can't really turn up in Melbourne with netconf at the same
state as it was when I left Edinburgh (for more than just the
obvious reason).

Knowing the way I work, I decided to take time off between New
Years' Eve 2008 and Melbourne to hack. I'll also have two 13 hour
legs on my way there (and a whole day in Bangkok), so there's more
time available then than it took me to get netconf to the state it
is right now.

Long story, short point: you probably won't see much from me in the
next four months as I have to tend to clients and spend time on my
research.

But that said, I encourage everyone else to take a look at the code.
You might want to start by reading the (up-to-date) design document
[2] and the roadmap for version 1.0 [3]. You can find those links,
instructions, and more info on the netconf homepage [4].

2. http://git.debian.org/?p=netconf/netconf.git;a=blob;f=doc/design.txt;hb=HEAD
3. http://git.debian.org/?p=netconf/netconf.git;a=blob;f=doc/roadmap-1.0.txt;hb=HEAD
4. http://netconf.alioth.debian.org/

There's plenty of stuff to do (see the bottom of the homepage for
some higher level tasks), lots of it will be obvious from the code
itself, but if you're interested in doing something and need advice
as to what needs doing, don't hesitate to drop a line to this list
and I *will* work with you to figure something out (and happily
answer questions about the code at any time).

I would be happy to coach anyone who wants to work on the code (and
would like to be coached).

Also, if you know of other people interested, please invite them to
join this mailing list.

That's all for now.

Cheers,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

a bachelor is a man who never made the same mistake once.