[Fwd: [Debian-net-admin] autonet design]

Jörg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Fri Jun 8 10:55:58 UTC 2007

Hallo Martin,

martin f krafft <madduck at debian.org> wrote:
> also sprach Jörg Sommer <joerg at alea.gnuu.de> [2007.06.07.1803 +0200]:
>> Do you will keep the splitting into three layers?
>
> I did not take a layered approach like autonet, but I could conceive
> one. For my current design, please see [0] and [1]. I can easily map
> the three layers there:
>
>   1. the daemon receives link-level events from the kernel
>   2. the configuration broker determines the configuration to use
>      for an interface if it's supposed to be configured in response
>      to a user request or by policy. The return value is
>      a configuration stanza much like in the autonet email posted
>      here two days ago
>   3. the methods then take care to turn the current state into the
>      desired state, which was given by the configuration stanza

How does wpa_supplicant fit in the scheme?

layer 1. the daemon receives the event a new wlan interface is available
layer 2. the broker says it needs wpa_supplicant
layer 1. wpa_supplicant tells the interface is ready
layer 2. the broker says the interface needs dhcp
layer 3. dhcp_client is run

I think wpa_supplicant is somewhat special because it uses the same name
for the interface in different states.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Ein Optimist ist in der Regel ein Zeitgenosse, der ungenuegend informiert ist.
                                                           (John B. Priestley)