[Fwd: [Debian-net-admin] autonet design]

Chris Hanson cph at csail.mit.edu
Sun Jun 10 18:48:02 UTC 2007

martin f krafft wrote:
> Chris, your ideas sound very interesting and are well
> formulated/organised. Thanks for your input!
>
> I am a Debian developer and (one of) the father(s) of the netconf
> idea, which is a revamp of Debian's ifupdown:
> http://netconf.alioth.debian.org. I am starting to code on Saturday
> at Debcamp. You can see some of the ideas related to netconf on the
> wiki as well as the design document linked from there.

Yes, Thomas brought this to my attention a while ago when you started
the project, and I've been lurking on the mailing list since then.

> What is autonet? Is it vapourware or already in use?

I have to say it's vaporware, although I did write some code, which I've
attached.  You're welcome to use it as you see fit.

> From what you write, it seems like we have more or less the same
> ideas. Would you be interested in cooperation? I think your
> expertise and experience with the mit.edu domain would be a great
> benefit to my efforts of writing netconf, which I do intend to
> eventually make Debian's primary network configuration management
> system. Thus, you would benefit from such a cooperation as well.

Well, if I had more time I'd be interested, but since that time I've
become insanely busy doing other things, and I no longer have time to
work on anything else.  But I'm happy to discuss stuff if needed, and
I'll continue to lurk on the list.

> This may be among the only points where we differ: I don't really
> want to use XML because it's cumbersome for the poor admin. We'll
> see though, since I am aware of the benefits of XML.

XML is just a format I'm familiar with, and it has interesting
properties.  If I was doing this today I'd probably use RDF instead.
But I have no particular attachment to any given syntax; what matters to
me is the expressiveness of the configuration language.

>> The binding layer is not yet written.  But there is a working design
>> for the configuration language, of which the above is a sample.
>
> Hm, but this sounds tempting. Could I have a look at this language?
> It seems that it covers a little more than what I want to achieve
> with netconf, as such things as interface naming and driver
> selection are handled by udev in Debian now.

The attached tarball has a reasonably extensive example.

> It would be an honour if we combined efforts. May I invite you to
> join our mailing list?

Thanks; I think I'll take you up on that mailing-list invitation.  :)