[solved] authenticating users for the control socket

Gabor Gombas gombasg at sztaki.hu
Wed Jun 13 11:23:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 11:01:30AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> 17112 is the client's PID and the user ID is 1000/1000. We should be
> able to work with that just fine. Yay.

You should be aware that this is Linux-specific. AFAIK newer *BSDs have
the getpeerid() function, others have LOCAL_PEERCRED that is similar to
Linux's SO_PEERCRED. Neither getpeerid() nor LOCAL_PEERCRED returns the
PID of the remote process, but I think that is not a problem.

Other Unices may have other methods and some do not support this kind of
authentication at all, but I do not think we should worry about those.

Gabor