[solved] authenticating users for the control socket

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Jun 13 12:50:17 UTC 2007

also sprach Gabor Gombas <gombasg at sztaki.hu> [2007.06.13.1223 +0100]:
> You should be aware that this is Linux-specific. AFAIK newer *BSDs have
> the getpeerid() function, others have LOCAL_PEERCRED that is similar to
> Linux's SO_PEERCRED. Neither getpeerid() nor LOCAL_PEERCRED returns the
> PID of the remote process, but I think that is not a problem.

Actually, it kinda is, since I am spawning threads for client PIDs.
However, right now they are merely used to tag log entries.

Thanks for letting me know, I shall avoid using the client PID for
anything important.

As for SO_PEERCRED being non-portable, I am willing to ignore it for
now and implement this later. My goal is to get a prototype out,
even if it supports only Linux for now.

> Other Unices may have other methods and some do not support this
> kind of authentication at all, but I do not think we should worry
> about those.

No, definitely not.

Thanks for your input.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

the united nations did a poll about food. the only question they asked
was: "could you please give your honest opinion about a solution for
the shortage of food in the rest of the world?" this poll failed
because:
  - in africa they didn't know what food was....
  - in eastern-europe they didn't know what honest was....
  - in western-europe they didn't know what shortage was...
  - in china they didn't know what opinion was...
  - in the middle-east they didn't know what solution was...
  - in south-america they didn't know what please was...
  - and in the usa they didn't know what "the rest of the world" was...