netconf and upstart

Marcus Better marcus at better.se
Wed May 9 13:48:09 UTC 2007

martin f krafft wrote:
> However, as with dbus, I cannot make upstart a dependency. SysV may
> be flawed in many ways and upstart looks promising, but for servers,
> init.d has been working fine for years

I would argue that for servers, ifupdown works just fine, so we could focus on
the newer use cases like laptops and mobility. In fact I cannot see a single
feature in your list on the Wiki that would be relevant to servers, which
usually have a static configuration.

> Debian will not make upstart the default any time soon,

Perhaps not, but for me the question is: how well would it serve the purpose
of netconf? I hope we don't end up reinventing upstart for non-technical
reasons.

I will see if I can hack up some interesting scripts with upstart. So far its
capabilities are somewhat limited, but I agree it looks promising.

(Oh, and I wish you a speedy recovery!)

Marcus