netconf and RFC 4741

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Sep 19 08:04:45 UTC 2007

Thanks for your comments. I am still undecided whether we'll need
a name change, but it's good to have the concern out there.

Some responses:

also sprach Martin Marcher <martin.marcher at gmail.com> [2007.09.18.1527 +0100]:
> dNetconf (debian Netconf - to keep the debian in peoples mind...)

I don't like that one for two reasons: capitalisation, and it's
really not supposed to be Debian-specific, ever.

> nconf

That's a good contender.

> ipconf
> ipconfig (refering to iproute here)

Windows has ipconfig, so that's a no. And apart from that, I may be
using iproute in some places, but netconf does more than just IP,
and on Hurd/BSD platforms, iproute is not available, so another
implementation has to be chosen.

> netconfd (I have enough "d"'s to maintain and don't want anything
> that is not a daemon to be added to the list of "sources of
> confusion") - as in netconf debian

yeah, i don't like *d either. Anyway, netconf *is* a daemon...

also sprach Martin Marcher <martin at marcher.name> [2007.09.18.1541 +0100]:
> sounds reasonable to me from that point of view. I was just
> thinking about the python naming pyThis pyThat and actually liked
> the idea to at least passively know what that is...

I am using Python only to prototype. netconf 1.0 will likely be
reimplemented in C.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

"health? what good is your health when you're otherwise an idiot?"
                                                -- theodor w. adorno