netconf and python

Martin Marcher martin at marcher.name
Wed Sep 19 09:43:08 UTC 2007

2007/9/19, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at corsac.net>:
> On mer, 2007-09-19 at 10:26 +0200, Colin Alston wrote:
> > I'm pro
> > it entering a rewrite phase after prototyping, but there is no reason
> > it can't remain Python based. It's not a process that requires
> > "performance" as such, it's simply doing some reconfigurations
> > periodicaly. Lua is another alternative that I'm fairly fond of, but
> > still think great benefits could be had from sticking to Python and
> > seeing what crazy modifications people in the wild come up with.
>
> Except that netconf should be in base system, so it should not depends
> on too many things.

I agree. There should be nothing but the base system needed to build netconf

Also why not use C++ - yes I know that there are a lot of people that
for some reason don't like it but having well defined interfaces and a
good design of classes could lead to having

a) "easy" codebase for new developers to jump into
b) using swig (or something else) could probably provide a nice
interface to scripting languages keeping the ifup ifdown possibilities
of the current configs...

martin