Request for comment: a new software to manage linux networking features

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Wed Feb 20 23:22:40 UTC 2008

also sprach namnd <namnd at fpt.com.vn> [2008.02.20.1852 +0100]:
> If you don't keep a lot of network states yourself, your software
> can't do many things useful, I hope that after some effort,  you
> will agree with me on this point.

I don't have to keep state to be able to access it.

What kind of useful things will I not be able to do?

> > It's also aimed at replacing ifupdown, not overriding it.
> >
> Many packages call ifup/ifdown or rely on /etc/network/ifup.d/*, if you
> don't provide all those features, other packages will break, people
> won't accept it.

netconf has full ifupdown compatibility.

> How people call it single mode when your daemon runs on background while
> the user is doing something on the shell?

single mode means no multiuser. I don't know what you're trying to
get at. udevd also runs in single user mode, for example. So does
upstart or even hald, I think.

> > Yes, I am aware of that. Unless I can get people like you
> > interested earlier so that they help. Because I don't have very
> > much time for netconf...
> >
> I oppose the idea of relying on a daemon at the core, and I don't
> believe the "stateless" idea will won't, so I can not join the
> current netconf design.

What a shame. Thanks for an interesting discussion nonetheless.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

the unix philosophy basically involves
giving you enough rope to hang yourself.
and then some more, just to be sure.