Request for comment: a new software to manage linux networking features

namnd namnd at fpt.com.vn
Thu Feb 21 03:52:44 UTC 2008

Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2008/2/21, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd at bzed.de>:
>
>>  > Besides, single user mode usually also means "no network".
>>

>> 0 bzed at think:~$ ls /etc/rcS.d/*net*
>>  /etc/rcS.d/S40networking
>>  0 bzed at think:~$
>>
>>  Debian has networking in rcS since years, probably since ever.
>>
> rcS is not single user mode (rc1 is). But you are right that debian
> starts networking for single-user. But as I (and martin) said, it's no
> problem to have a daemon running for single user mode (udevd being a
> prominent example).

Single user mode is mostly for troubleshooting, and people may want to
fsck or something like that, that's why they don't start allmost all
daemons in single user mode. Someone said:
"Run Level 1 is known as 'single user' mode. A more apt description
would be 'rescue', or 'trouble-shooting' mode. In run level 1, no
daemons (services) are started. Hopefully single user mode will allow
you to fix whatever made the transition to rescue mode necessary."
It may not be authentic, but I agree with the idea. udevd is critical,
we can't live without it, so it's an exception.