Request for comment: a new software to manage linux networking features

Colin Alston colin at thusa.co.za
Thu Feb 21 10:10:03 UTC 2008

On 21/02/2008 11:49 martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> [2008.02.20.1908 +0100]:
>>> netconf is declarative in that it determines the desired state of
>>> the system, then looks at the actual system
>> How exactly will you do that?
>> Will you use the wpasupplicant dbus interface or the control socket to
>> query the state of wireless devices?
>> What about ppp/vpn connections, ethernet, link detection, dhcp?
>> How will you hook into those systems?
>
> I don't know the details on each, but yes, I intend to query them
> for state. This may require patches to openvpn and the like, but I'd
> much rather see netconf do stuff right than hacks in places.

TUNs and SITs are already buggy in ifupdown btw. I suspect this is why
openvpn still does it's own configuration of the interface rather than
letting ifupdown configure the interface details after openvpn creates
it.

--
Colin Alston <colin at thusa.co.za>     ______
Linux & Internet Services           /\_\_\_\