non-root, non-real network manipulation for netconf testing

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Jun 4 09:13:21 UTC 2008

also sprach Ben Hutchings <bhutchings at solarflare.com> [2008.06.03.1247 +0200]:
> I don't believe that's the case for UML.

You're right. I spent some time with UML yesterday and got it to the
point where it can run an command in a UML and report back the
status code without requiring any setup or root rights. If you're
interested:

  http://git.debian.org/?p=netconf/netconf.git;a=tree;f=uml;hb=umltest

Now I need to figure out how to set up uml_switch as a user such
that I can have two or three interfaces within the UML on the same
network segment.

Right now, my problem is that if eth0-2 have 1.2.3.1-3 assigned to
them, pinging 1.2.3.2 from 1.2.3.1 will make Linux route the packets
via loopback. I need to figure out how to make them be put on the
wire (which is uml_switch in this case).

"whale feces or working at microsoft? i would probably be the whale
 feces researcher. salt air and whale flatulence; what
 could go wrong?"
             -- michael moyer, executive editor of _popular science_

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net