status update: talks, GSoC, DebConf8 & Extremadura, first release, lenny

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Mar 4 20:23:13 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

It's time for another netconf status update, this time touching
five subjects, as suggested in the header.

  http://netconf.alioth.debian.org/

LCA 2008 & FOSDEM 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you know, I went to present netconf at LCA in Melbourne, where
I had many interesting chats, and even though so far, noone has
contributed code, I definitely spread the word.

Slides from my LCA 2008 talk are available [1], as is a video
recording [2].

1. http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2008/slides/072-netconf_lca2008_2008.01.31.tar.gz
2. http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2008/Thu/mel8-072.ogg

I also presented the status of netconf as well as some of its design
at FOSDEM 2008 in Brussels. The slides are available [3], the video is
forthcoming.

3. http://people.debian.org/~madduck/talks/netconf_fosdem2008_2008.02.23/slides.s5.html

Google Summer of Code
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've submitted netconf as a project suggestion to the Google Summer
of Code [4].

4. http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/netconf

What we need now is applicants and a bit of luck. The way it'll work
is that Google will tell Debian that it'll fund X projects, and if
we get strong applicants on the netconf proposal, the chances are
high that netconf will be a GSoC 2008 project.

DebConf & Extremadura
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next time I can see myself working intensively on netconf is
DebConf 8 at the beginning of August, or an Extremadura work
session, if netconf gets one - I have applied.

First release
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I expect the first release to sid not before DebConf in August,
unless other people jump in and help out. I can't set aside enough
time between now and then to work reasonably on it. I *can* however,
reserve several hours per week to field questions and help people
understand the code (or Git), or discuss design issues.

Lenny
~~~~~
We are still on track to release Debian lenny in 2008 [5], which
means that we'll likely freeze the archive in July. Given that
I anticipate to release netconf to sid not before August, this means
that netconf might not make it into lenny. It takes two Debian
stable releases for a package to replace another in the base system,
so unless we make lenny, netconf won't be in base until lenny+3.

5. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/03/msg00001.html

I have asked for a freeze exception [6], but there's no guarantee
I'll get it.

6. http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/03/msg00023.html

The most promising way out of this is to get netconf to releasable
state beforehand. For this to happen, I need your help. Please
consider contributing, as part of the GSoC or not.

Cheers,

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>

"a mac is like a prostitute. sure they look good,
 but your wallet will feel a lot lighter after getting one."
                                                -- psychonate on irc