[Neurodebian-devel] RE : RE : RE : Packaging of anatomist (was: Latest and greatest in visualization of MRI data?)

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 02:34:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:48:23PM +0100, RIVIERE Denis wrote:

> OK here is a little script to make the source tarballs.
> It does the following:
> - checkout or update a local svn client (you have to run it from a clean new directory the first time)
> - tar the necessary projects sources useful for anatomist

Thanks for the script. I changed it slightly, so it produces something
that qualifies as a multi-tarball source package.

> The brainvisa-cmake tarball is the build environment project (based on
> cmake), so is only needed to compile, not for runtime.  It's a shell
> script with variables in it to select the branch you want to work on
> (set to "trunk" right now).  With that and the help of:
> https://brainvisa:Soma2009@bioproj.extra.cea.fr/redmine/projects/brainvisa-devel/wiki/How_to_compile_BrainVISA_projects
> it should be quite easy to build.

Unfortunately not that easy. The documentation says:

 You must create this file in the following directory:
 $HOME/.brainvisa/bv_maker.cfg.

Debian's buildds do not necessarily have a $HOME at all, so this is not
an option. Moreover the configuration seems to require knowledge of the
absolute location of the sources. That again depends on the build
environment and is hard to guess. Now bv_maker seems to be out of luck
and me too.

I really wonder whether it would be possible to get it to build without
this overhead. I tried running cmake the usual way, but it is extremely
unhappy. For example

  WARNING: Impossible to package third party component aims-free because file
  "../brainvisa-cmake/share/brainvisa-cmake-1.0/cmake//brainvisa-packaging-aims-free.cmake"
  does not exist.

or

  CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:8 (math):
  math cannot parse the expression: "+1": syntax error, unexpected exp_PLUS,
  expecting exp_OPENPARENT or exp_NUMBER (1)

Furthermore, brainvisa-cmake comes with many many cmake modules that
find standard system libraries. Obviously, Debian's cmake also comes with
those, but they are tuned to Debian and consequently I'd prefer those
when building packages.

Another issue I have noticed are the included code copies of external
libraries, e.g. NIfTI. Is there a reliable way to prevent brainvisa to
use them? The Debian packaging needs to use the libraries provided by
corresponding Debian packages and not these internal copies. I need to
be able to pull them out, without breaking anything.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

--
Michael Hanke