[Neurodebian-devel] experimental OpenVibe package

Nicolas Bourdaud nicolas.bourdaud at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:44:06 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 20:23, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>> 	I have tested the VRPN build, and it should build on all supported
>> Debian and Ubuntu versions.
>> git repo: git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-exppsy/vrpn.git
>
> should I build straight from GIT or may be you could upload your .dsc to
> mentors.d.n (preferable so right away I would get also lintian and other checks
> right away)?
Ooops, I forgot...
It has been sent now:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/v/vrpn/vrpn_07.30+dfsg-1.dsc

the one of OpenVibe in on the way (the orig and data package are big!!)
but I guess that by the time you read this email, it will be at:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/o/openvibe/openvibe_0.14.3+dfsg-1.dsc

> * debian/copyright -- missing entries
>
>  * python_vrpn -- unclear a bit unfortunately since releasing into
>    public domain is not that trivial actually...
>
>     # author:       Thiebaut Mochel mochel at cecpv.u-strasbg.fr 2008-06-05
>     # copyright:    (C)2008  CECPV
>     # license:      Released to the Public Domain.
>
>     Ideally author could be contacted and make license terms explicit, e.g.
>     http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/
>     or just the same as the rest of VRPN
>
>  * submodules/hidapi -- set of licenses
>
>  * atmellib/
>
>   /* Copyright (C) 2003 Bauhaus University Weimar                                                    */
>   /* Released into the public domain on 6/23/2007 as part of the VRPN project                        */
>   /* by Jan P. Springer.
>
>  * I guess there could be more ;)

The public domain incertitude is really an issue: AFAIK putting in the
public domain is equivalent to abandon copyright (maybe I am wrong), but
at the same time, versions after 2010 have been licensed to the Boost
Software License 1.0. See:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/vrpn/obtaining_vrpn.html

Since I am lost, I will contact upstream about it.

> * remove-old-makefile.patch  -- is not necessary.  Just use
>
> %:
>     dh $@ --buildsystem=cmake
Good point... I searched for such option in the manpage of dh or
dh_auto_configure and did not find any :-(. Now that I know the option
name, I've found it mentioned in the dh manpage but only in one example.

I think, I will send a patch for the dh manpage. :-)

> * vrpn-bin -- why not just vprn?  especially since it would provide the server
Just because there is more than just the server but "vrpn" is fine as well.

>> 	Note: Because of a small font file (bluehigh.ttf) shipped in the
>> OpenVibe package without its sources
>
> oops -- I guess I am missing something -- what is the sources for a .ttf?
I am no expert in font creation/edition but I think ttf is not the form
preferred for edition. See:
http://wiki.debian.org/Fonts/#Source_Font_Formats

> otherwise:
>
> 1. there is 2 of them actually ;)
> $> ls **/*ttf -l
> -rw------- 1 yoh yoh 55820 May 18 11:38 openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/resources/gui/bluehigh.ttf
> -rw------- 1 yoh yoh 55820 May 18 11:38 openvibe-applications/vr-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/vr-demo/common/GUI/bluehigh.ttf
> $> md5sum **/*ttf
> 9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/ssvep-demo/resources/gui/bluehigh.ttf
> 9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  openvibe-applications/vr-demo/trunc/share/openvibe-applications/vr-demo/common/GUI/bluehigh.ttf
It was noticed. :-)

> 2. it might be the one (use some ttf fonts browser to get glory details),
> provided by ttf-larabie-straight (later fonts-larabie-straight) package
> in Debian:
>
> $> ls -l /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie/bluehigh.ttf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52844 Aug 28  2000 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/larabie/bluehigh.ttf
>
> which is unfortunately non-free as far as I see it BUT also might be a part of OGRE package ( :-/ ):
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&arch=i386&searchon=contents&keywords=bluehigh.ttf
> 9758ef0e42ec4826b12fda11d49b3e84  usr/share/OGRE-1.7.4/media/fonts/bluehigh.ttf
>
> CCing Manuel - OGRE maintainer for comments -- you carry those fonts for which
> copyright/license terms I guess are missing from debian/copyright and I am
> afraid they might fall under non-free...

It seems everybody is fond of this font! :-D
But why this one o_O?

>>  OpenVibe should normally qualify
>> for non-free.  Tomorrow I will contact upstream about its possible removal.
>
> indeed, ideally those should be "replaced" with some free alternative.

This could be easily replaced by a free alternative, however some other
data files might also deviate from the DFSG (the .mesh and other which
have likely been generated from a 3DSmax or Blender scene). On the good
side, these data file are used only by the demos. So in the worst case,
we have the possibility to put only the demos in the non-free section.

Cheers,

Nicolas