[Neurodebian-devel] packages for iqr

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Mon Mar 19 00:14:15 UTC 2012

on a related note -- are those .deb's really that bad (never dealt with
them)?  probably they might be quite usable if custom-built
on/against for each stable release/architecture.

But even if they are usable, it would boil down to keeping a building
farm with necessary tools to build such custom (distinctly versioned so
there is no confusion) packages per each release/architecture/...  For
moving target release/distributions (e.g. Debian testing/unstable) such
solution would result in more hassle since then you would need
keep track of what is happening in their land and rebuild your binary
packages periodically if any library transition etc happens.

Now imagine that some user runs into a problem and would like to
fix/patch it... now we would get back to the round 1 as if there were no
any packages at all...

So -- my summary to echo Yury would be -- why bother with
providing inferior custom solution whenever at a very low effort you
could take advantage of existing tools, repositories with mirrors around
the globe, build farms with more than a dozen hardware architectures, QA
teams and tools, translators, robust building and distribution
infrastructure, uniform across other 30,000 software ways to obtain and
build source packages, ...  ?