[Neurodebian-devel] any ideas why linking against gslcblas "doesn't work" on Ubuntus?

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Wed Sep 11 15:46:38 UTC 2013

ah -- sorry, I should have followed up I guess.

Yes -- it is due to --as-needed although it should have not affected it
there since gslcblas was linked after as well... so who knows...

meanwhile I decided to not give up on --as-needed entirely and the fix
was to add "-Wl,--no-as-needed" right before  the -lgsl ...  which
usually was nearly the last among libraries to link.

similar dance was needed for Motif libraries, because libXm needs to be linked
before libXt (and possibly other X libraries).  With --as-needed linking of Xm
is deferred to the later point where any of its symbols are needed, and usually
that is after referencing any X symbols, thus it gets linked AFTER Xt leading
to incorrect operation.  So here is what I needed to do

-Wl,--no-as-needed ${MOTIF_LIBRARIES} -Wl,--as-needed

;)  thus enabling --as-needed even for Debian builds (where there is no
--as-needed by default) for all subsequently listed libraries... oh well -- it
should be only for the benefit, right? ;)

Cheers,

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org