[Neurodebian-devel] Please consider moving common packages to Debian-Science

Ole Streicher olebole at debian.org
Sat Nov 19 14:42:05 UTC 2016

Dear Neuro-Debian developers,

when looking into the QA page of neurodebian

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=team%40neuro.debian.net

there are many packages that are useful for common science (and used there):

* pandas
* pymc
* statsmodels
* scikit-learn

are the ones which I could directly identify as used also in astronomy
-- there may be other packages as well.

The packages tend to have RC errors from time to time which remain
unfixed then for quite a while -- like #841610 for statsmodels. One
reason here is that for non-neuro people the threshold is high to
contribute -- one has to create a patch instead of just committing to git.

Would you consider moving these packages to debian-science instead? This
would enable team-maintenance for a larger team and may help to keep
them in a good shape. At least, I don't want to join neurodebian just to
fix the stuff in-place.

Best regards

Ole