[Neurodebian-upstream] newbie

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 12:47:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:44:25AM +0200, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> > - pyssdh: forget it is old stuff
>
> Yup, this has to be removed from the archive.

Alright.

> > - Licence Cecill : I don't known what to say. I am not an expert at all.
>
> Well, it's simple. Check this:
>
> http://www.debian.org/legal/licenses/
>
> Cecill is not on the list, so the package has only potential to get into
> non-free. On the other hand, it's
>
> 1) Better then nothing
>
> 2) The I/O and nomenclature core (NEO) is under Revised BSD, so at least
> this has the potential to enter main
>
> 3) For you as a copyright holder it might be an option to dual-licence
> under CeCill / BSD, but this has to be figured with the authorities

That is not entirely true. The problem arises from the fact that there
are multiple Cecill licenses and it is unclear which one is intented. If
you could clarify that you are aiming at 'CeCill C' and not 'CeCill A'
we are set.

I wouldn't target Debian non-free unless we are really really forced to
do that. non-free packages receive a lot less attention, benefit a lot
less from Debian's infrastructure and might raise concerns when you
actually intended a software to be free in every respect.

There is a tendency in France to use the CeCill-style licenses and that
is fine. However, if you are in the position to relicense to a more
common license that would be a good thing. Most similar to the CeCiLL is
the GPL, but anything like GPL, BSD, MIT, Apache or equally free and
standard is perfectly fine.

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke