[Neurodebian-upstream] newbie

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Sep 23 16:58:04 UTC 2010

Hi!

> And using CeCill B is also wrong from the beginning. No ?

I personally dislike it, because it's badly written and "incompatible"
with anything, but GPL (because if you use GPL, you are not bound by the
advertising clause). That's all.

On the other hand, for the code that *you* have written and that is NOT
a derivative work from GPL-only software, you have full legal rights to
distribute it under both:

1) CeCill-B
2) 3-Clause BSD

at the same time and users can freely choose which licence they want.

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 18:35 +0200, Samuel GARCIA wrote:
> So what I wrote on OE website is just nonsensical.

My suggestion:

---
The graphical user interface of OpenElectrophy based upon PyQt library
is released under the terms of GPL v2 or later according to the terms of
use and distribution of PyQt library.

Re-usable Python OpenElectrophy modules that do not constitute
derivative work from PyQt library are dual-licensed under the terms of
CeCill-B and 3-Clause (Revised) BSD license at users discretion.

CeCill-B is a GPL-compatible license, further information about which
can be obtained at the following website: http://www.cecill.info.
---

I think, this notice is legally clean, but (just in case, as we are
talking about legal stuff) I am not a lawyer and not entitled to give
further legal advices.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev