[Neurodebian-users] (no subject)

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Thu Jan 5 20:18:18 UTC 2012

neurodebian-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
Bcc:
Subject: Re: [Neurodebian-users] real-time EEG viewer

Hi Zbyszek,

First of all -- thanks for the details and probably this should be our
last email on the neurodebian-users mailing list -- let's switch to more
appropriate neurodebian-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org (CCing for
convenience this time, and you are welcome to subscribe or I will
just try to keep CCing you)

> svarog and the others (apart from libbluecove) are nice and simple
> java packages (either maven or ant), already packaged by me. Would
> it be feasible to add 6 packages?

Sure! as long as you promise to take care of them ;-)

It might take a bit longer for us to review/sponsor them, but otherwise
I do not see the number as a show stopper. With such a number
eventually you might even apply for Debian maintainer position so
you could do everything yourself without sponsoring your uploads through
us.

> a few hours of work to get the whole lot lintian-clean.

sounds great

> libbluecove
> would be more trouble, but I could give it a go. It is used to
> support bluetooth amplifiers in svarog.

FWIW -- there were already someone interested in having it in Debian, so
whenever you start packaging it I would advice to retitle (bts retitle
command in cmdline) those bug reports to carry ITP (intent to package)
instead of RFP (request for packaging) and put you as the owner:

    RFP: bluecove -- Java library for Bluetooth (JSR-82 implementation)

    RFP: bluecove-gpl -- BlueCove-gpl is additional module for BlueCove to support bluecove on Linux.

also it might be worth for you to seek help or simply to join
http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/
Pkg-java team.  Describe them what packages you are going to
package/maintain, our (NeuroDebian) interest in them, etc.  This way you
might get even more helpful hands (we ourselves are not very familiar
with Java packaging aspects) and perspective sponsors for uploads (hence
faster feedback for you)

> I think that https is best for external access anyway: slow but secure.
> https://escher.fuw.edu.pl/git/svarog

somewhat relevant question -- why not a clone on github?  might have
helped a bit to attract contributors from outside etc

> >Thank you in advance for getting back to us
> Well, thanks for providing such an excellent foundation to built
> software on. It would be extremely cool if we could have Svarog in
> Debian.

So let's work toward that ;)

> PS. Under https://escher.fuw.edu.pl/debian/ there's a repository
> will debs and source packages.

ok -- will glance over it -- thanks!  Keep in touch