[Nsspampgsql-devel] y, another

Bollacker Wener southwestern at kvxk.ftbb.net
Thu Mar 18 19:05:49 UTC 2010

 them any the more easily because they are the opposite to the German faults.
Modern England is too prone to present the spectacle of a person who is enormously delighted because he has not got the contrary disadvantages to his own. The Englishman is always saying "My house is not damp" at the moment
when his house is on fire. The Englishman is always saying, "I have thrown off all traces of anaemia" in the middle of a fit of apoplexy. Let us always remember
that if an Englishman wants to swindle English people, he does not dress up in the uniform of a soldier.
If an Englishman wants to swindle English people he would as soon think of dressing up in the uniform of a messenger boy. Everything
in England is done
unofficially, casually, by conversations and cliques. The one Parliament that really does
rule England
is a secret Parliament; the
debates of which must not be published--the Cabinet.
The debates of the Commons are

sometimes important; but only the debates in the Lobby, never the debates in the House. Journalists do control public opinion; but it is not controlled
by the arguments they publish--it is controlled by the arguments between the editor and sub-editor, which they do not publish. This casualness is our English vice. It is at once
casual and secret. Our public life is conducted privately. Hence it follows that if an English swindler wished to impress us, the last thing
he would think of doing would be to put

on a uniform. He would
put on a polite slouching air and a careless, expensive suit of clothes; he would stroll up to the Mayor, be so awfully sorry to disturb him, find
he had forgotten his card-case, mention, as if he were ashamed of it, that
he was the Duke of Mercia, and carry the whole thing through with the air of a man who could
get two hundred witnesses and two thousand retainers, but who was too tired

to call any of them. And if he did it very well I strongly
suspect that he would be as successful as the indefen