[Nut-upsdev] OPTI-UPS PS (PowerSeries)

Niki Denev niki at totalterror.net
Fri Nov 4 08:17:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

Some time ago i bought 2 OPTI UPS devices, but was
really sad to see the page about the OPTI protocol on
the nut page.
But i don't wanted to give up :)
So i sniffed the serial communication using the windows
application/driver and found out that these PS (PowerSeries)
 devices are different than the ES series mentioned on the Nut page.
They use some kind of ASCII protocol,
with the "F" and "Q1" queries, that many other models use.
(i wonder what's the name of this protocol and where it originated?)
Also it appers that they are rebranded Powercoms,
because the 'hm' command returns "POWERCOM smk'.
But unfortunately i was not able to make the powercom driver
use them.

So i began hacking a driver out of skel.c and got most of the
stuff working but the battery voltage is giving me headaches :)
here is a sample output of the 'Q1' query:
(228.7 228.7 228.7 024   49.4  2.40 30.0   00000000  00011100
The first three values are input voltage, fail voltage(seems bogus, as
it's always as the input voltage), output voltage, load percent, AC freq,
battery voltage, and temperature (also they seem to have two status
registers)
The PROBLEM is that I can't really understand how to convert the battery
value to something meaningfull, i.e. charge percent... it's 2.40 then the
 battery is full (it's 2.50 on the other OPTI ups i have, the first is model
 PS1000B-RM, and the
second is PS1500B)
Both of them have 3 batteries each, and battery voltage of 36 volts is
 returned from the 'F' query :
#230.0 005 036.0 50.0

Any ideas or pointers are greatly appreciated!

P.S.: These units have 8 outlets each, split into 3 groups that
can be separately controlled(on/off), i wonder how exactly
to implement this, as as it seems none of the drivers use this functionality.

Thanks for reading my lenghty and non-understandable email :)

--
--niki

PGP KeyId: 0xF2DB7EB9