[Nut-upsdev] OPTI-UPS PS (PowerSeries)

Carlos Rodrigues cefrodrigues at mail.telepac.pt
Fri Nov 4 16:38:29 UTC 2005

On 11/4/05, Niki Denev <niki at totalterror.net> wrote:
> They use some kind of ASCII protocol,
> with the "F" and "Q1" queries, that many other models use.
> (i wonder what's the name of this protocol and where it originated?)
> Also it appers that they are rebranded Powercoms,
> because the 'hm' command returns "POWERCOM smk'.
> But unfortunately i was not able to make the powercom driver
> use them.

The "powermust" driver should support it (the driver is now named
"megatec" on the development branch of NUT).

> The PROBLEM is that I can't really understand how to convert the battery
> value to something meaningfull, i.e. charge percent... it's 2.40 then the
>  battery is full (it's 2.50 on the other OPTI ups i have, the first is model
>  PS1000B-RM, and the
> second is PS1500B)
> Both of them have 3 batteries each, and battery voltage of 36 volts is
>  returned from the 'F' query :
> #230.0 005 036.0 50.0
>
> Any ideas or pointers are greatly appreciated!
>
> P.S.: These units have 8 outlets each, split into 3 groups that
> can be separately controlled(on/off), i wonder how exactly
> to implement this, as as it seems none of the drivers use this functionality.
>
> Thanks for reading my lenghty and non-understandable email :)

Hmmm. Ok, I guess the "megatec" driver will output bogus values for
"charge" as it calculates only for 12V and 24V batteries (as returned
by "F").

You can start by measuring both the value for 100% charge and the
value when the UPS triggers the low-battery status.

As for controlling the outlets, "megatec" doesn't support it either.
However, the point of this driver is to consolidate all the diferent
drivers using variations of this very same protocol, so you're welcome
to add support for that functionality (and for calculating the charge)
to "megatec".

If you go for this, send me a note.

--
Carlos Rodrigues