More information Re: [Nut-upsdev] TrippLite OMNI1000LCD hiddev

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:31:11 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Joel Peshkin <joel at peshkin.net> wrote:
> Peter Selinger wrote:
>
> >Better. What you actually need is:
> >
> >/usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -u root -x vendorid=09AE -x generic -DD auto
> >

> It is still being strange....
>
> After trying this /dev/usb/hiddev0 disappears (actually, dev/usb
> disappears, but it is the only thing there) and I have to rmmod usb_uhci
> and udb_ehci and re-insmod them to get the device back.

That is totally normal. Since the hiddev API is linux-specific and not
very suitable for complex HID devices, newhidups asks the kernel to
detach the hiddev driver from the UPS. (If you had other HID devices
around that are not claimed by other user-space programs or the input
subsystem, there would still be /dev/usb/hiddev* nodes.)

> By the way, this is on a ubuntu (breezy) system fwiw, but I switched to
> a fresh cvs checkout of nut to debug.

> Checking device (09AE/2005) (001/003)
> - VendorID: 09ae
> - ProductID: 2005
> - Manufacturer: Tripp Lite
> - Product: TRIPP LITE UPS
> - Serial Number: 692185 A
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 459)
> Unable to get Report descriptor (-75)

Now, that is perplexing.

At least Tripp Lite decided to give their HID PDC UPSes a different
Product ID than the other serial-over-HID devices.

> Also, here is the appropriate section from lsusb -v
[...]
>         HID Device Descriptor:
>           bLength                 9
>           bDescriptorType        33
>           bcdHID               1.10
>           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
>           bNumDescriptors         1
>           bDescriptorType        34 Report
>           wDescriptorLength     618
>          Report Descriptors:
>            ** UNAVAILABLE **

do you get this "UNAVAILABLE" error when /dev/usb/hiddev0 does *not* exist?

thanks,

--
- Charles Lepple