[Nut-upsdev] Re: TrippLite Omni1000LCD [Was: Belkin UPS software]

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Wed Nov 23 16:42:16 UTC 2005

Dean K. Gibson wrote:

> My Belkin UPS 1000 failed about a month ago;  all of a sudden it
> reported a battery failure.  Since the Belkin logs showed this as in
> instant transition from 99% to 22%, I assume a circuit board failure,
> not a battery failure.  Similarly, one Belkin UPS 500 circuit board
> failed after I used my 100W amateur radio transmitter (not connected to
> the UPS), and another Belkin UPS 500 I gave my father has shown
> problems,

Yes, my experience with Belkin has been that their hardware and
software is crap. It barely works and easily breaks.

> so I decided to replace them with multiple TrippLite
> OMNI1000LCD units.  Unfortunately, these use a USB connector, and
> TrippLite's Linux software doesn't support recent versions of Linux
> using USB (later than RedHat 8), so I'm presently running them without a
> software connection.
>
> I see from a Google search that you had a conversation with someone on
> the NUT-upsdev list about the OMNI1000LCD.  Do you know what the state
> of any development is for supporting the OMNI1000LCD?

Yes, I was in the process of writing support for the OMNI1000LCD, but
there were some strange problems. It would actually be very helpful if
you could try to reproduce the steps that Joel Peshkin did (discussed
on the nut-upsdev mailing list in early November). I would be very
interested to know if you will run into the same problems or not.

In principle, the newhidups driver (newest development branch) should
work for this device, but for some reason it wasn't able to read any
variables from the UPS, and we were unable to determine the reason.

If you could post your findings to the list that would help.

-- Peter

P.S. please cc any reply to the list.