[Nut-upsdev] Re: TrippLite Omni1000LCD [Was: Belkin UPS software]

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Nov 26 20:41:17 UTC 2005

"Dean Gibson (System Administrator)" wrote:

> On 2005-11-26 08:34, Peter Selinger wrote:
> > You will have no such problems when compiling NUT directly from sources. Myself, I am still using RedHat 9 (but with an upgraded 2.6 kernel).
> >
> > -- Peter
> >
> Do I need the 2.6 kernel in order to test the NUT USB driver?  This is
> the reason I haven't upgraded from FC1 before.

Others on the list know more about this than I do, but my
understanding is that the driver should work with the 2.4 kernel,
unless your device needs to read data from the interrupt pipeline (?),
which is something only the 2.6 kernel can do.  Anyway, you should
give it a try. It might work.

> I tried FC3 (w/ a 2.6
> kernel) on a spare EXT3 partition on a test machine, and it created a
> partition that FC1 (w/ a 2.4 kernel) couldn't read (any access through a
> soft link on the new partition gave an IO error).  I searched the web at
> the time and found no such incompatibility advertised.  Until I'm happy
> with FC3 or FC4, I'd like to be able to switch back and forth to FC1
> while using a common EXT2/3 data partition, and a file system
> incompatibility makes that difficult.

This is not my area of expertise, but I don't think there is a
filesystem incompatibility between the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels per se.
More likely, the filesystem created by FC3 has some feature enabled
(such as large file support) that your previous kernel does not
support.

Perhaps you can fix this with tune2fs(8). You can use "tune2fs
/dev/hdaX -l" to see the features enabled in a particular ext2/3 file
system (look for "Filesystem features"). You can then use the -O
option of tune2fs to set or unset certain features. Some features,
such as "large_file", are not supported by the 2.4 kernel.

> I was planning on compiling NUT anyway, but I was trying to get an RPM
> that installed so that I made sure I got any auxiliary files (like the
> one that goes in /etc/init.d).  If installing the version of NUT (1.4, I
> believe) that comes with FC1 provides those files, then that will do, I
> guess.

I would not even mess with /etc/init.d yet, until you know that your
driver is working. For now, it should suffice to start it by hand.

-- Peter