[Nut-upsdev] Help with USB support for a Kebo UPS-650D

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 12:55:16 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Andrew Dancy <andrew at lothianproductions.co.uk> wrote:

> There is Windows software supplied with the UPS which purports to provide
> information on input/output voltage, load, battery status, etc.

If feasible, you may want to set up the Windows software, and monitor
the communications between the UPS and the software. Check for
SnoopyPro on sourceforge.

> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=0925 ProdID=1234 Rev= 0.01
> S:  Manufacturer=     N/A
> S:  Product=   N/A
> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
> E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   6 Ivl=10ms

I'm going to hazard a guess, from the MxPS (max packet size) field,
that your UPS is using the HID protocol as an easy way to work in
Windows without requiring a special device driver.

> I have ensured there is a valid HID
> device entry at in /dev/usb/hiddev0 and have configured /etc/usb/ups.conf as
> follows:

actually, newhidups doesn't require a device name (it uses libusb
instead of /dev nodes), so you can put anything in the port field.
newhidups actually detaches the hiddev driver.

> When I run newhidusb (with the following command:
> /usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -DDD /dev/usb/hiddev0 ) I get the following
> output:

Looks like you may need to specify "-x vendorid=0925", and you may
also want to try -DDDDD to see the details of matching.

--
- Charles Lepple