[Nut-upsdev] Cyberpower 900AVR/BC900D newhidups problem

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Apr 17 17:44:57 UTC 2006

Lincoln Turner wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for all your help with this. Unfortuantely, I have returned the
> device for a refund, and bought an APC XS 1500, which appears to be
> better supported.
>
> It would have been fun to debug this cyberpower device, but I needed
> something to work in the short term as it will have to run unattended
> while I'm out of the country.

No problem!

> I was most unimpressed with cyberpower's NDA policy. The tech guy was
> quite helpful, but said that they couldn't release their protocol
> details to anyone without an NDA and that precluded open source. He
> knew about nut and was even prepared to ship free products to 'nut
> people' but not the protocol. Why a hardware maker benefits from
> keeping the protocol secret is beyond me!

Probably because they did not develop it themselves, but bought it
from another company. My guess is that they are probably themselves
bound by an NDA. This could explain their relative happiness to give
away free products to a NUT developer. We should certainly keep it in
mind for the future.

-- Peter