[Nut-upsdev] newhidups capture - Atlantis-Land HID UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:50:44 UTC 2006

On 2/10/06, ngpost1 <ngpost1 at etitech.net> wrote:

> Also, this morning I plan to connect the UPS to a Win box running the
> monitoring program supplied with the UPS (UPSilon2000) and a USB sniffer
> program. If you have any suggestions on what to look for in the data,
> please let me know.

The best thing you can do is make sure you have lots of notes on what
changed, and when. That way, you don't *have* to know what to look for
a priori. There will be some sort of pattern to the data, and when you
pull the power, or notice that the front panel lights changed, the
data will change as well (generally speaking).

> P.S.: I'm looking right now at the data coming from the USB (I'm using
> USB Monitor from hddsoftware.com). It seems plain ASCII data, I can see
> the line and output voltages, the frequency and the battery temperature.

usbsnoop is another good tool, since it has an ASCII log format that
is easily parseable.

I don't know about the data being in ASCII format, though. It almost
sounds like they might have borrowed somebody else's HID descriptor,
but it really is a USB-to-serial converter under the hood. Those
values you see mentioned in the newhidups dump should be encoded in
hex. (From what you have mentioned, including the VID/PID of
0000/0001, it doesn't sound like the manufacturer had a good handle on
the USB specs, and the best thing to hope for is a firmware upgrade.)

--
- Charles Lepple