[Nut-upsdev] Character-encoding in code and docs

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Feb 10 13:25:28 UTC 2006

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:37:35AM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> I think I have seen a few files with latin-1 characters in the
>> comments (changelog as well), and that's probably what Niels is
>> referring to.
>
> Yes, this was personal names in comments and copyrights.
> Also, the CREDITS file could easily end up containing names with
> characters outside the ASCII repertoire.

I understand you wish to have your name written as it is supposed to be
written, but unfortunately there is no portable way to do so, unless we
start using generated files (based on the localization) for all of these.
In that case we need to agree on an encoding standard and do some magic in
the makefiles to convert these according to the localization on the system
we're building on (if possible at all).

That doesn't need to stop you from using whatever kind of encoding in your
sourcefiles, as long as you make sure that they are between /* and */, you
should be fine. Of course there is no guarantee that the person viewing
these files is seeing what you intended to be seen.

Regards, Arjen