[Nut-upsdev] newhidups (2.03-pre2) not working with APC Back-UPS 500

Charlie Brady charlieb-nut-upsdev at e-smith.com
Thu Jan 26 18:38:24 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I'm trying to track down a problem with said combination.

 Broadcast message from nut (Thu Jan 26 13:22:06 2006):

 Communications with UPS UPS at localhost lost

 Broadcast message from nut (Thu Jan 26 13:22:11 2006):

 UPS UPS at localhost is unavailable

"newhidups -DDD hiddev0" seems happy enough, as does "upsd -DDD -f" - at
least until I start upsmon. Then I see:

[root at test7 ups]# /usr/sbin/upsmon -D
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.3-pre2
UPS: UPS at localhost (slave) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

Trying to connect to UPS [UPS at localhost]
Logged into UPS UPS at localhost
polling ups: UPS at localhost
get_var: UPS at localhost / status
Poll UPS [UPS at localhost] failed - Variable not supported by UPS
do_notify: ntype 0x0005 (COMMBAD)
Communications with UPS UPS at localhost lost

At this point, upsd reports an error:

Pinging UPS [UPS]
Got PONG from UPS [UPS]
acl_check: localhost: match 1
ACL [localhost] matches, action=1
Connection from 127.0.0.1
acl_check: localhost: match 1
ACL [localhost] matches, action=1
write: [destfd=6] [len=3] [OK
]
acl_check: localhost: match 1
ACL [localhost] matches, action=1
write: [destfd=6] [len=3] [OK
]
acl_check: localhost: match 1
ACL [localhost] matches, action=1
Client monuser at 127.0.0.1 logged into UPS [UPS]
write: [destfd=6] [len=3] [OK
]
acl_check: localhost: match 1
ACL [localhost] matches, action=1
write: [destfd=6] [len=22] [ERR VAR-NOT-SUPPORTED
]

What variable might upsmon be polling which is not supported by newhidups
for this UPS? Or how can I find out for myself.

[FTR, hidups doesn't work either, although it used to work with this UPS
in version 1.2.0.]

Thanks

---
Charlie