[Nut-upsdev] Serial PnP for NUT?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 12:26:25 UTC 2006

2006/3/13, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> Are there any plans for using serial PnP in NUT?
>
> I tried to implement this on the 'safenet' driver, but the support for
> this doesn't seem to be widespread among the UPSes compatible with this
> driver. So far, I have only managed to get one (a Sweex 1000) to output
> it, but unfortunately, it is probably too generic to be really useful
> for autodetection:
>
>         PnP revision    : 1.00
>         PnP EISA ID     : UPS
>         PnP product ID  : 0001
>         PnP description : SMART UPS
>
> Nevertheless, if someone is working on serial PnP, you may want to add
> this. I'm not intending to implement this in the driver, since by the
> time a driver is started, one should already know it is the correct one.
> If we do want to add serial PnP capabilities, we probably need to do
> that before starting the driver, in 'upsdrvctl' (or even before that).

as you stated, PnP is not for embedding in drivers, but more for
external applications, such as the one I pointed you at Mandriva [1].
This has to be generic, and the results are to be handled by the same app.
Ie, some config. wizard discovers serial PnP devices, then checked
what it has found, found that there's an UPS, then
install/configure/run NUT, ....

As I'll state in my NUT-NG answer and draft, serial is to be
considered legacy, and though we obviously have to support it, our
energy would better go in other more important areas. So, for that
kind of problem, if a device is found, that's fine. Otherwise, we can
propose the user with a GUI to select his exact serial model. USB ones
are found automatically, and networked units are another problem.

So, to conclude, I would prefer to give the necessary information
about UPS and PnP (ID string for UPS supporting PnP (ie [2] for MGE),
doc reference, ...), so that external apps can use these. We can
possibly give some code (ie ripping [1]), but not including PnP code
in drivers...

Arnaud
--
[1] http://cvs.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gi/tools/serial_probe/