[Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Nov 5 05:06:38 CET 2006

Charles Lepple wrote:

> On 11/4/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> > Charles Lepple wrote:
> > > For reference, I was playing with 'svn diff' commands that look like this:
> > >
> > > svn diff svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/branches/Testing@542 \
> > >             svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk@542
> >
> > I have merged a bunch of changes from the Testing branch back to the
> > trunk. These were mostly changes to documentation such as NEWS and
> > UPGRADING, as well as some of Arnaud's Sun fixes.
> >
> > I don't see any additional Testing features that are missing from the
> > trunk. It should therefore now be possible to copy the trunk to
> > Testing. This will overwrite everything in Testing, and can be done
> > with a simple command like the one Charles used (only replace "diff"
> > by "merge"):
> >
> > cd nut-testing
> > svn merge svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/branches/Testing \
> >               svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk
>
> [...]. I'm just not sure that the merge command above is smart
> enough to do what you're suggesting without the addition of a few
> revision numbers on the command line.
>
> FWIW, I usually just use the following syntax for 'svn merge':
>
> $ cd branches/Testing
> $ svn merge -r123:456 svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/nut/trunk
>
> The diff between the branches before was mostly to see whether or not
> it was going to be a simple range of revisions or not.

No, my merge command above is not intended to be smart. It does not
actually "merge" anything; rather it literally "copies" the trunk to
the Testing branch. The way this works is "compute all differences
between Testing and the trunk, then apply those differences to
Testing". In C-notation:

 testing += (trunk - testing)

which is equivalent to:

 testing = trunk

Everything that is currently in Testing will be completely
overwritten. After running this command, trunk and Testing will be
identical.

-- Peter