[Nut-upsdev] Krauler UP-M500VA investigation

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Sat Nov 18 00:08:20 CET 2006

Hi, All,

Today I tried UPS under Windows with Upsilon 2000 to trace usb io.
This tool uses get_descriptor call too and it is the only call it uses
except for quite few requests at initialization time!
Also, the vendor of this tool is Megatec and it calls communication
protocol "Mega(USB)". So, this protocol should be megatec in fact (as
Carlos wrote).
The usbsnoop log is rather big, so I attached it to the letter.

That's what it does exactly from the very beginning
(I'll point to get_descriptor call as "get_descriptor <descr>

// at startup with no delay
get_descriptor 1 0
get_descriptor 2 0
get_descriptor 2 0
some initialization, it sets up a pipe to the device, I guess
get_descriptor 22 0 (and it returns much data!)
something strange (for me) again

// from now delay becomes 2 seconds
get_descriptor 3 3
get_descriptor 3 3

// here infinite loop starts
get_descriptor 3 13             \
get_descriptor 3 3              |
get_descriptor 3 12             | infinite
get_descriptor 3 3   \          | loop
.....                | 8 times  |
get_descriptor 3 3   /          /

// when I pushed on "Test" button (delay is again about 2 secs):
get_descriptor 3 3
get_descriptor 4 3  // after this call UPS disconnects from the line
                    // and returns back to online state in a second
get_descriptor 3 3
get_descriptor 4 3
get_descriptor 3 3
get_descriptor 4 3
get_descriptor 3 3

This initialization made in startup is important, because when I tried
to reproduce this sequence with Peter's program, the call
get_descriptor 22 0 failed because of timeout. But all another things
are nearly the same. This could be key to understanding timeout
messages from newhidups.

 Alexander                          mailto:lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su